On Thursday, January 05, 2012 12:54:56 PM Dave did opine:

> On 1/5/2012 11:29 AM, Kent A. Reed wrote:

> >> If the surrounding environment is not too hostile, the easiest way is
> >> to blow air through the box - like a PC.   The MW525 does not
> >> require a fan so if you create a breeze across
> >> the heat sink it should be cooled sufficiently in even a hot
> >> environment.   If everything is in a sealed box the only alternative
> >> is to blow air across the components inside the box and make sure
> >> the box is large enough to become warm yet dissipate the heat
> >> into the cooler surrounding air.   A MW525 system throws off about 20
> >> watts of heat.
> >>
> >> I recently bought some of these to help keep dust and dirt out of a
> >> PC enclosure in dirty environment.   Along with a good 120 mm fan,
> >> something like this would be useful in some industrial environments
> >> to ventilate a cabinet with filtered air.
> >> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?
> >> EdpNo=5554585&SRCCODE=WEBLET03ORDER&cm_mmc=Email-_-WebletMain-_-WEBLE
> >> T03ORDER-_-Deals
> >>
> >> The Intel bios has a display that will show you the CPU core
> >> temperature so you can get an idea of how efficiently your enclosure
> >> is keeping your PC boards cool.
> >>
> >> Dave
> >
> > Gentle persons:
> >
> > Watercooling is the cats meow in high-end gaming systems. My local
> > Microcenter has a whole aisle devoted to aftermarket add-ons like
> > pumps, heat exchangers, tubing in disco colors, etc., (with or
> > without the attendant lowrider lighting!).
> >
> > Apart from our natural conservatism, is there any reason y'all with
> > big systems aren't watercooling within a sealed box, piping the heat
> > to an external radiator?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Kent
>
> It really isn't just a CPU cooling issue.  Usually the entire enclosure
> needs to be cooled.  The cheap industrial way to cool a cabinet is to
> use a Exair type vortex compressed air powered cooler.  They are
> relatively cheap, and bulletproof, but they eat a lot of compressed air.
> But if you have a lot of compressed air available, then that can be a
> good solution.
>
> In general, I like to keep water away from electronics and high
> voltages...  :-)
>
> Although... the low rider lighting is attractive..  ;-)
>
> I have worked on a few high power induction heating units that use water
> to cool just about everything, including the power conductors.  I find
> them a bit scary.   480 volts, SCRs the size of hockey pucks, mixed with
> hoses and water all in the same cabinet!
>
> I close the cabinet and stand around the corner when I throw the
> disconnect switch on after a repair.
>
> Dave

Our old transmitter was a bit like that, used a water cooled triode tube
for a final amp, so the water hookup came from the hoses attached to 1"
gate valve faucets on the bottom of the socket that had 7200 volts present,
and rode in insulated brackets about 3" from the cabinet walls up to the
flow gages and a short section of pipe inserted into the hoses 2" from the
grounded 2" copper plumbing that had a 50 ma full scale meter from that
piece of pipe to ground that gave us an indication of the waters purity by
showing the leakage current.  Early on I installed a culligan deionizer
system as a bypass treatment, running a stream tapped off the top of the 15
hp pump, using 50' of icemaker hose as a flow restrictor, and dumped that
back into the 200 gallon storage tank after it came thru the deionizer.

Before then, we were replacing the hoses and hose barbs at 6 month
intervals because using only distilled water as evaporation make up let it
get dirty enough that electrolysis was eating the hose barbs away in about
9 months.

After putting in the deionizer, I was able to replace the meter with a 10
ma movement, and it was time to get the cartridge recycled when it was
showing .1 ma of leakage current.

The hoses and barbs in it right now are the same as when we turned it off
in June 2008 & they were then about 10 years old, still in good condition.
In fact, I hope the water was drained.  The building hasn't been heated
since because we moved the transmitter to Clarksburg with the digital
changeover.

Things did get interesting once as we always bought the replacement hosing
from a mining supply company locally, and one time when I went up and got
the usual 50 feet, they subbed an anti-static semiconductor hose for the 1"
bore 300 psi stuff I normally used.

Same identical bright yellow color and all.  Put it in, filled it up with
water and fired it up.  About 30 seconds later we could smell hot rubber,
so I killed the high voltage and opened the door to see if I'd left it
where the fan motors could rub on it or ??

I found that anti-static hose had gotten so hot in that 30 seconds with
7200 volts from end to end that it was imitating a soaker type garden hose!
Finally read that line of text rolled onto the side of the hose.  Oooops...

This was about 5 am, &  I had to wait for that mining supply to open for
the day so I could get the Right Stuff this time, did, and put it in,
finally getting enough water (we had emptied our two big garbage cans of
spare good water filling it the first time) in the system by jury rigging
the deionizer to feed it cistern water about an extra hour just to make
enough good water to work.  I was about 1'ish in the afternoon getting us
back on the air, and one damned tired puppy by then.  But lesson learned
too. :(

Cheers, Gene
I finally went to the eye doctor.  I got contacts.  I only need them to
read, so I got flip-ups.
                -- Steven Wright