On 1/5/2012 12:14 PM, Dave wrote:
> On 1/5/2012 11:29 AM, Kent A. Reed wrote:

>>> If the surrounding environment is not too hostile, the easiest way is to
>>> blow air through the box - like a PC.   The MW525 does not require a fan
>>> so if you create a breeze across
>>> the heat sink it should be cooled sufficiently in even a hot
>>> environment.   If everything is in a sealed box the only alternative is
>>> to blow air across the components inside the box and make sure the box
>>> is large enough to become warm yet dissipate the heat
>>> into the cooler surrounding air.   A MW525 system throws off about 20
>>> watts of heat.
>>>
>>> I recently bought some of these to help keep dust and dirt out of a PC
>>> enclosure in dirty environment.   Along with a good 120 mm fan,
>>> something like this would be useful in some industrial environments to
>>> ventilate a cabinet with filtered air.
>>> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5554585&SRCCODE=WEBLET03ORDER&cm_mmc=Email-_-WebletMain-_-WEBLET03ORDER-_-Deals
>>>
>>> The Intel bios has a display that will show you the CPU core temperature
>>> so you can get an idea of how efficiently your enclosure is keeping your
>>> PC boards cool.
>>>
>>> Dave
>>>

>> Gentle persons:
>>
>> Watercooling is the cats meow in high-end gaming systems. My local
>> Microcenter has a whole aisle devoted to aftermarket add-ons like pumps,
>> heat exchangers, tubing in disco colors, etc., (with or without the
>> attendant lowrider lighting!).
>>
>> Apart from our natural conservatism, is there any reason y'all with big
>> systems aren't watercooling within a sealed box, piping the heat to an
>> external radiator?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Kent
>>

> It really isn't just a CPU cooling issue.  Usually the entire enclosure
> needs to be cooled.  The cheap industrial way to cool a cabinet is to
> use a Exair type vortex compressed air powered cooler.  They are
> relatively cheap, and bulletproof, but they eat a lot of compressed air.
> But if you have a lot of compressed air available, then that can be a
> good solution.

I wasn't thinking just in terms of CPU cooling, Dave. With the parts
available, one can rig up almost anything, which has always been a theme
of this forum. Sure the shrink-wrapped retail components are expensive,
but that's because it's being sold to folks with more money than sense
(I've seen guys drop $5K on a custom gaming system). It can be done more
cheaply.

The point for me was, you folks were talking about problems cooling a
box in a dirty environment. To me that says use heat exchangers. If you
don't like liquid-to-air heat exchange, use air-to-air heat exchange.

 From the days I started building experimental lab equipment, my
personal choice always has been to try not to generate more heat than I
can conduct away to ambient. These days the drive toward ubiquitous
mobile devices is solving the problem on the computer side but it's
still an issue on the motor-drive side.

Regards,
Kent