On Sunday, January 29, 2012 06:37:43 PM andy pugh did opine:

> On 29 January 2012 17:31, gene heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > What if the spring is either too much or too little, this seems to
> > invite the need for a non-symmetrical FF0 function.
>
> You could account for the constant offset with the PID bias term.

I realized that Andy, at about the same time I was pulling on my coat to
head for the shop.  With strong enough steppers its moot in any event.  But
that doesn't negate the fact that with the load offset, you have more
rapids available going one way than the other.  So you wind up tweaking for
the slowest direction.  Often by reducing accel to what it can handle, then
raising vel a bit.

Cheers, Gene
If we see the light at the end of the tunnel, it's the light of an
oncoming train.
                -- Robert Lowell