On Sunday, February 26, 2012 07:34:30 AM charles green did opine:

> color photography is a whole other thing.  why not make an rgb encoder
> system?

Most dyes are organic.  Without resorting to expensive dichroric coatings
on individually mounted chips of glass, it would likely fade and become
useless in a few years.  Sure, I have prints in my billfold that I shot and
developed on unichrome paper in 1968, washed 10x what was required because
I knew when I took the shot that it was my last chance to get a pix of my
mother looking quasi healthy (she was dying of cancer and did some months
later) but there is no way you could call that color accurate today.

Semiconductor detectors are the most sensitive at 1100 nanometers, far
infrared IOW, and require extensive layers of filtration so that their much
less efficient detection of what we call white light, from a narrow band of
energy from 670 nanometers (red) to about 400 nanometers (almost ultra
violet) where they are only maybe 1% as efficient, is actually fairly
difficult, and one of the reasons you can check your tv remote with a
digital camera.  Your eyes can't see that led, but the imaging chip in the
camera, despite heavy filtering in front of it, can see it quite well.
Your judgment of how well that camera does color (colored of course by your
own color vision, or lack thereof) can often be made better with more IR
stopping filters screwed onto the lens.  The color errors it shows you are
usually related to heating of the subject by the sunlight, and one of the
reasons color is better at night when using the flash, which has relatively
little IR output.

Cheers, Gene
Necessity has no law.
                -- St. Augustine