On Tue, 2012-03-13 at 22:42 -0500, Scott Hasse wrote:
... snip
> I understand I could run an encoder input with the counting done by the
> Xilinx chip, but the way the standard 5i23 firmware images work I only have
> one of those available (and not optically isolated) versus lots of
> arbitrary isolated I/O, so I'd prefer to do it in software if I can, as I
> ultimately would like to run more than one analog input optically isolated.
>
> Any suggestions?

If you just want to go from analog to LinuxCNC, have you considered
using an ATmega to parallel port interface? The AVR can accept pure
analog or some pulsed variety, such frequency counting , PWM or PDM. A
dual parallel port PCI card is ~$15, Arduino Pro Mini for $20:
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9218

You could isolate the parallel port pins with a parallel port breakout
board. This could run with a real-time component.
--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html