I'd prefer not to use the mesa encoder primarily because I want to use the
optical isolation I already have on the 7i37.  Additionally with the firmware
setup I have (4 pwm, 4 encoders, 4 stepgens) and the 3rd 50 pin cable for io
like estop and limit I only have one Mesa-based encoder available with no
optical isolation.  Ideally I'd like to run multiple analog inputs.

Although if I go the weighted sum route I'd be limited by my io as well.

It seem I must be doing something wrong with the software encoder though, as i
think it should easily be keeping up with the frequencies I'm sending,

Thanks,

Scott