On Thu, 2012-03-15 at 10:56 -0500, Scott Hasse wrote:
> I'd prefer not to use the mesa encoder primarily because I want to use
> the optical isolation I already have on the 7i37.  Additionally with
> the firmware setup I have (4 pwm, 4 encoders, 4 stepgens) and the 3rd
> 50 pin cable for io like estop and limit I only have one Mesa-based
> encoder available with no optical isolation.  Ideally I'd like to run
> multiple analog inputs.
>
> Although if I go the weighted sum route I'd be limited by my io as
> well.
>
> It seem I must be doing something wrong with the software encoder
> though, as i think it should easily be keeping up with the frequencies
> I'm sending,
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott

Opto-isolators might be considered slow. From my experience, they might
be good to tens of kilohertz to maybe a hundred kilohertz with the the
fast ones setup properly. Data signals generally don't need to be nearly
as fast, so I would tend to isolate the data instead of the analog
signals.

I wonder... these should be pretty fast:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_form-factor_pluggable_transceiver
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_1552798_-1

--
Kirk Wallace