Peter Blodow wrote:
>  In some cases,
> there may not even be a German word  for lack of exact definition (what
> exactly is a joint? As a German word, it means a marihuana or haschisch
> cigarette).

It is also a flexible connection between bones, as in the elbow and knee.
A Puma-style robot ONLY has "joints", no linear axes.  A hexapod
also has joints, and these must be coordinated precisely or the machine
can bind up.

On machines with non-Cartesian axes, LinuxCNC allows the machine
to be set up in joint mode, where each joint can be moved independently,
such as during homing and initial machine alignment.  Then it can be
switched to "world" mode, where it responds to Cartesian and rotary
coordinates, and the kinematics determines what the joints need to do
to put the tool at the commanded point and angle.  I'd probably better
stop there, as I know only a hint about these machine.

Jon