I started out with AVR's beginning with an Arduino. Being a beginner
programmer, this was a great introduction. But now I am preparing to start with
PIC's for the simple reason that I can find a lot more motion control libraries
which is my primary interest right now. I've read all sorts of raves about the
merits of one over the other but to me they are both just tools and I will use
whichever works best for the task at hand. Yes, there is a small cost
difference but if you're talking about a couple of bucks for a single project
it seems inconsequential.

We are like tenant farmers chopping down the fence around our house for
fuel when we should be using Nature's inexhaustible sources of energy -- sun,
wind and tide. ... I'd put my money on the sun and solar energy.
What a source of power! I hope we don't have to wait until oil and coal
run out before we tackle that. -Thomas Edison, inventor (1847-1931)