Hi guys,

Lurker waking up with this thread.  I use PIC's day and night for
commercial use, and want to chime in also...

Depending on what you want to do, PICs are great.  AVR's and PIC's
generally fit the same application space, but Atmel (the AVR folks)
still struggling to make a profit after several years, so I cannot put
them into production for anything.  Microchip has never discontinued a
PIC to date AFAIK.  Atmel has gone more hobbyist in recent years and has
gained popularity because of the Arduino.  Microchip continues to target
the commercial markets, so yes you can expect less direct support from
them.  But IME Atmel's support has been poor and Microchip will respond
directly to me when I need.  Still though, there is great forum support
for both.

Atmel has pretty much touted C as the language of choice for years now,
while Microchip has pushed assembly and is more recently starting to
push C.  Your choice depends on what you want to do, but I still use
assembly quite a bit for serious bit-banging.  C of course is much
quicker to program in.  Atmel offers their C compiler for free, while
Microchip offers their non-optimizing version for free.  In my tests,
that still produces great code, but if you want to do a one-off project
in C and optimize the hell out of it, then Atmel may be the choice for you.

ARM processors fit a different space (that require a bit more processing
power), but if you know how to code it's amazing what you can do with a
PIC32.  For example, look at the Chipkit, which is a PIC32 clone of the
Arduino running at 80Mhz and 32-bit processor, and it runs rings around
the Arduino while being code compatible.  ARM's may sound nicer because
of speed and power, but for commercial use, cost becomes a big factor.
For a one-off, spending a couple extra bucks is no issue.

Anyway, my point here is that smaller microcontrollers like PICs and
AVRs are a great choice depending on what you want to do, and the time
and money you want to invest in it.

Cheers,
-Neil.