On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 3:20 PM, Kenneth Lerman
<kenneth.ler...@se-ltd.com> wrote:
> On 4/16/2012 3:06 PM, Stephen Dubovsky wrote:
>>> I don't mean to offend anybody, but AVR's are cheap and fall down easy
>>> to get started with. Why bother with PIC's? The only reason I can think
>>> of, is to fill time with the challenge at hand.
>>>

>> Haha.  I think the same thing now, but my suggestion is ARM.  We've used
>> PIC for over a decade at the office (+ TI dsp, + Motorola/freescale, +etc)
>> and have recently gone 100% ARM.  The Cortex M4(F) is bigger, faster&
>> cheaper than a TI 28xx fixed pt dsp and the Cortex M0 is faster&  cheaper
>> than a tiny freescale HC08.  Whatever peripherals you need, someone prob
>> makes an ARM w/ just what you want.
> As far as I can tell, ARMs are in a different class. (Price, complexity,
> performance, etc.)

Not really---LPC1xxx are well under 1$, and the Cortex M parts are
quite integrated and don't need external memory or peripherals.
OK, I give you one advantage---probably the smallest package I have
ever seen for ARM is QFN-32 pin; no 8-pin DILs.
The complexity does come in because there are so many of them: NXP,
ST, TI, Broadcom, Marvell and Atmel, each one a little different; but
if you are looking for low price/complexity, just stick to one of
them, for instance NXP LPC series.