On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 3:40 PM, Neil <emc_d...@narwani.org> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Lurker waking up with this thread.  I use PIC's day and night for
> commercial use, and want to chime in also...
> ARM processors fit a different space (that require a bit more processing
> power), but if you know how to code it's amazing what you can do with a
> PIC32.  For example, look at the Chipkit, which is a PIC32 clone of the
> Arduino running at 80Mhz and 32-bit processor, and it runs rings around
> the Arduino while being code compatible.  ARM's may sound nicer because
> of speed and power, but for commercial use, cost becomes a big factor.

Cool, but PIC32 is just Microchip's licensed MIPS core, so it really
is in the same class as the ARM microcontrollers. I see that the price
point is 1-2$, and packaging of 30 or more pins. Microchip has a
really disjointed product line: they recommend assembler while having
a whole bunch of binary-incompatible product lines
(PIC-12,14,16.17,18,24,28,32... surely I forgot something). On the
other hand, you have to give them props for excellent execution (no
shortages) and long term support of their product line.