In the case the 7I39 motor is a stepper?, you should never hook a stepper motor
up directly to a power supply it will destroy the motor. If you have encoders
you need a micro-controller. Using the encoder in your circuit is called a
closed loop system you need to read back to something like Arduino, you are
correct if the encoder is not working you can troubleshoot by checking your
wire connections.