On Saturday, May 05, 2012 01:26:16 PM Kent A. Reed did opine:

> On 5/5/2012 8:46 AM, gene heskett wrote:
> > Does linuxcnc have a utility that can scan a .hal file and draw a flow
> > chart?  HalShow would appear to be similar, but demands a fully legal
> > hal file so that linuxcnc can actually load up and run, so would seem
> > to be of no use for troubleshooting a broken .hal.  And that is my
> > instant problem.
>
> Gene:
>
> Cast your mind back to mid-October 2011. I posted some messages about my
> attempts to do just what you're asking now ("and now for something
> completely different---visualizing EMC2 configurations") and put up some
> notes on https://sites.google.com/site/manisbutareed. The results were
> suggestive to me but the response from y'all was tepid and I put the
> project on hold as our involvement with the medical establishment got
> more complicated.

I wouldn't say my response, since there wasn't much, was tepid, as much as
I just wasn't ready to admit it would be handy.

> The bottom line was that the spaghetti diagrams my first attempt created
> were ok for getting an idea of the general arrangement but too hard to
> decipher if one wanted to track a particular signal. At some point I
> want to go back and try again, this time combining (being lazy) the use
> of the Graphviz algorithms to lay out the objects of interest with a
> home-grown implementation of one of the path-routing algorithms I read
> up on this winter. Then maybe I'll be able to produce the
> Manhattan-style schematics folks seem to be expecting.
>
> And welcome to the wonderful world of interpreting the LinuxCNC docs in
> order to understand how to parse the network descriptions. I stubbornly
> implemented my own parser, in part because I wanted a tool that

> 1) I could use away from an installation of LinuxCNC, whether realtime
> or simulator,
> 2) that could diagram hal configurations for components as yet not
> defined in LinuxCNC whether implicitly or explicitly (using comp),
> 3) and that might also be able to say something intelligent about bogus
> hal files.

That would be cool.

> I had to make assumptions and I needed those pesky arrows to
> disambiguate inputs and outputs. (Since one option in halcmd is to
> generate output with those arrows included, I already often used
> LinuxCNC to add them to my input files.) In retrospect, I may give up
> this design goal and just use a vampire tap on LinuxCNC instead.
>
> Bottom line is, I wish I hadn't been distracted over the winter so I had
> a ready-to-run tool to offer you now. Sigh.
>
> Regards,
> Kent

No problem Kent, there are priorities, and then there are _real_
priorities.  You take care of the important stuff _first_, and no excuses
for doing it are needed.

You haven't said much, I hope the recovery is continuing.

Cheers, Gene
Win98 errors 019-999: Reserved for future use; presently used only to
occupy
49.3 MB diskspace.