On Sunday, May 06, 2012 02:12:18 PM John Prentice did opine:

> Gene - greetings
>
> >> As an aside, as many nets are best written on one line, inventing the
> >> signal name is tedious. It would suit me to allow a wildcard, "*" or
> >> whatever, as signalname and HAL would invent a unique internal name
> >> for its own purposes.
> >>
> >> John Prentice
> >
> > While that might be kewl, how the heck would us humans trace it?
>
> You just see the pins connected together on the line of text.

Humm,  John, with one addition to that concept, I can see it actually being
pretty useful.

That addition would be to change the font to bold to hilight signal srcs,
while leaving loads in plain text.  BiDi stuff in both bold and italic.
Throw an underline under the wires name, sig1 sig2 etc.  Or, if color is
available, colorize the output.  The idea being to make the organizational
errors much easier to spot.  Save red for real errors & don't use yellow,
its too light to read well on paper.

Flow chart boxes would be nice, but this would be useful too.

> An analogy in our electrical world is that you need wire names (more
> often numbers in my work) between modules or boards but don't need them
> inside a unit as the connections are intimate, generally obvious and
> often very numerous. I know that PCB layout systems generally enforce
> naming of everything but this too is cumbersome (e.g. for xtal
> oscillator, compensation RCs tied to a chip)
>
> The more names I type the more typos I make - but as I say it is only an
> aside while we were exploring HAL.

I thought I was the only one with arthritic, not too accurate a finger
placement on the keyboard, glad to know I have company.  :)  The only
keyboard I really like is a 15 year old IBM clickomatic, it doesn't
register a key until its fully depressed & made the click. Unforch it
drives the woof batty with its noise & she is watching tv 20 feet of
hallway & 3 rooms away. All the rest register the adjacent key if you only
move it .002" because my fat finger didn't hit the right key perfectly dead
center.  Its a maddening PIMA on this $80 wireless logitech that the
lubricants have all dried out in.  That, and having the matching mouse put
itself to sleep and you have to click a button to wake it up.  Grrrr.

> John Prentice

Cheers John, Gene
Misery loves company, but company does not reciprocate.