Hallo,
Sorryto hear of this disaster.

The old Siemens way was to lock out the drive if the output of the speed
opamp (so including I ) was at the limit for longer than 100msecs.
The modern way on difgital servo drives is "trip on loss of communication
lasting longer than 2 servo cycles." And a host of trip conditions of
course thart the servo knows to detect.

Also there exists a very simple error detection circuit for 8 wire
encoders, but the details have escaped me. I would have to look in the
archives to find it again.

Hardware wise the easiest way is to provide impact absorbers at the end of
the travel. 1 or 2 pieces of 30mm thinwalled pipe work wonders.
But be sure to test out the pipe you plan to use. It should collapse to
+-30% of its length on impact.

Cheers,

j.