2012/5/30 andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com>:
> On 30 May 2012 10:50, Viesturs Lācis <viesturs.la...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2012/5/30 andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com>:
>
>>> I think that one would have to do more than simply interrupt the
>>> steps, as that would cause the motor to slip
>
>> And why would it do so?
>
> Because the motor is spinning and the gantry is moving, and the system
> can't stop instantaneously within one step increment.

You are right, if the interrupt is done during move. Then yes - it is
not good thing to do. Not only will it stop in unknown position, but
the deceleration would be very high - it would cause additional stress
to machine construction.

I am sure that it would work, if it is done the way I suggest:
1) home gantry with slave connected to a home switch on slave end;
2) when it is stopped; "disconnect" slave step signal and change X
home switch to one on master end of gantry;
3) rehome X, this time slave will stand still and gantry will be squared out;
4) when it is stopped, connect the slave joint back.

All it needs is 2 instances of mux2bit component - one for
interrupting step signals, the other for swapping home switches. Sel
pins for both instances can be driven with one pyvcp button.

--
Viesturs

If you can't fix it, you don't own it.
http://www.ifixit.com/Manifesto