Gene Heskett schrieb:
> I have had the opposite experience Peter. In 2007 I bought a 5 yo gas jetta
> that cost the dealer, who gave me a 90 day warranty, somewhere around $3500
> USD because everything that moved, promptly broke, including the sun roof
> which fell out of the hole in the roof. Front door window motors at
> $400/copy, 2 sets of headlight assemblies because the ones in it were
> already crazed and yellowed so bad you had to turn them on, and get out
> with a flashlight to see if they were lit. 2 sets later I finally had
> headlights that worked because the internal wiring of the first 2 sets
> burned up.  The car could not tolerate an unlocked door and locked us out
> of it with the keys usually dropped in the wifes purse many times. When it
> did it with the keys in the switch, and I had to pry a door open far enough
> to be able to hit the button on the armrest for the 4th time I said thats
> it.  I wrote a check for 17k USD for that car, and got $3500 USD in trade-
> in value against a 2007 RAV4 20 months later.  Smartest move I ever made as
> I figured it was worth even less if I had executed it like a horse with a
> broken leg which I was sorely tempted to do.  I will give it credit, the
> engine, a 2.4L 4, ran very strong & well once you got past all the damned
> paranoid computer problems designed to keep it from collecting mileage.
>
> This Toy?  Stick the key in the switch and drive it to NY & back with only
> 3 fuel stops in 900 miles round trip, getting about 7 mpg better than that
> Jetta ever dreamed of.  It never got more than 21 mpg.

With one of our Tourans (don't know if they sell them in the US and
under which name, actually it's only a taller version of the VW Golf,
sold as Rabbit in the US) I go 850 km (470 miles) easily on a tank full
of diesel, so I would have needed one stop only for fueling on the NY
trip. I was fond of japanese cars, too, and we had 7 Nissans within 20
years in our family and made almost a million km with them. My elder
daughter is still driving my wife's former car at a mileage of 320 000
km without any visible signs of ageing on the outside. Very good cars.
But no comparison with our present VW Tourans! By the way: In my former
company I bought a dozen of them for common use before I retired and
they have just the same experience with them, as I hear.
Maybe you wonder why we Europeans are so peculiar about fuel
consumption: a liter of Diesel fuel costs about 1,46 Euros in Germany
right now, which is a little more than $ 7 per gallon. It still is the
cheapest fuel, though, so Diesel cars are booming.

Best greetings

Peter Blodow

Peter