Gene,
please don't forget to take into account that liquefied gases have a
density of less than two thirds of gasoline and even less than diesel
fuel. Methane (CNG, CH4) is even lighter than butane (C2H6) or propane
(LPG, C3H8). In addition, their thermal yield is about 10 to 20% lower
per mass unit than that of liquid fuels (I didn't bother looking up the
exact figures). Multiply those figures and you'll end up with less than
half the energy content of gasoline.

A lot of people over here in Germany converted their cars and were
disappointed. In France, however, the government financially supports
the use of LPG which boosted the conversion a lot, especially with small
cars.
A second obstacle is the lack of "gas" stations compared with the
density of normal fuel supply stations.

Peter