On 25 October 2012 13:56, Bruce Layne <linux...@thinkingdevices.com> wrote:

> I think part of the problem I'm having might be caused by not using the
> Hall Effect sensors.  The old Siemens motor uses 15V Hall Effect sensors
> and the Ultra3000 wants them to be modern 5V Hall Effect sensors, so
> rather than making a custom circuit for voltage translation, I've been
> trying to get the Ultra3000 to self-sense the commutation at startup.

Not doing his would be my first approach so fixing things.
Though, converting might not help if the commutation patterns are different.

If the drives are using the encoders for commutation after an auto
sense then the locked-rotor situation might be caused by the encoder
and motor having a different idea of clockwise.
I would certainly try swapping two motor power leads to reverse the
motor relative to the encoder.

The drives are going to need to know the encoder counts per rev and
motor pole count, I guess you have configured these? (I assume that it
is _possible_ to configure these)

It is possible to run Hall-pattern translation inside the LinuxCNC
software. The "bldc" component can do this, but it would not be the
optimum solution.

--
atp
If you can't fix it, you don't own it.