On Fri, 26 Oct 2012, cogoman wrote:

> Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 19:21:01 -0400
> From: cogoman <cogo...@optimum.net>
> To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
> Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Using GPU horsepower,
>     was Re:  What should I do to get the performance back?
>
> On 10/26/2012 02:47 PM, John Stewart wrote:
>> OpenCL on Linux is ok. At least it was last time I tried it. I started a
>> blog on some stuff I did OpenCL wise:
>>
>> http://gpucomputes.blogspot.com
>>
>> (It was set up not as a technical treatise, but for students) (oh, and I ran
>> the code on OSX for the blog, but the code does/did run on Linux)
>   I don't mean to try to make work for someone else (my C skills are
> modest at best), but could this be the opportunity to try to break out
> of the one line look ahead limitation?  OpenCL program reads a bunch of
> lines ahead, and maps out the best trajectory for the path to keep the
> tool moving quickly, then lets the real time software know how fast it
> can step through the result.

AFAIK (and I am no expert) the lookahead limitation is not "compute bound"
but rather structural based on a early design decision to be able to stop at
the end of any block.

It does seem like the GPU would be great for compute bound things like cutter
path visualization and the like.

Peter Wallace
Mesa Electronics