As much as I know, all VFD are 3 phases connected (without central
connection available) (some are only 2 phases, but there is still a full
bridge rectifier)

The scheme you wanted to use will make a doubling of the voltage, most
probably killing the VFD (about 640Vdc on the bus if main line is 230V).