On Thursday 22 November 2012 12:26:18 Mark Wendt did opine:

> On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 12:07 PM, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > On Thursday 22 November 2012 11:50:45 Mark Wendt did opine:
> >> I've got some laminating epoxy that requires well over 24 hours to
> >> cure, and has a pot life of about three hours at room temp.  I
> >> suppose I could thin the epoxy with a bit of either DNA or acetone
> >> to allow it to wick further, but the that epoxy consistency is right
> >> about the same as a good, thick cuppa hot chocolate, so it should be
> >> able to penetrate fairly well.
> >
> > That might work but I haven't seen anything like the epoxy I used on
> > Bertha back in the 60's.  Sold as water ski finish, clear as water &
> > left that laminated walnut looking like milk chocolate, good enough
> > to eat.  18 coats of it at the time, took around 8 hours at 125F in
> > an old fridge to cure each one, hit it with a piece of 0000 steel
> > wool so the next coat would stick.  Repeat till tired of it, let cure
> > another 72 hours to really harden up, then polish on the power buffer
> > just like a piece of steel.  Other than aging yellow, its been a
> > great finish & has ridden probably 250,000 miles standing floor plate
> > down across the transmission hump, against the front of the bench
> > seat in many a vehicle over the last 45 or so years.  More or less
> > out of sight, handier than sliced bread.  Many a deer has stood there
> > watching in curiosity for the 10 seconds or so it took me to stop,
> > swing open the door and slide out, trailing it behind me using the
> > scope for a handle, rack a shell in and draw a bead.  Dinner (yum)
> > got a free ride home. ;-)
>
> That sounds more like a finishing resin rather than a laminating
> epoxy.  Finishing epoxies have little to no solids in them, since
> they're designed for presentation and for making the surface pretty
> much water proof.  The yellowing you see in most laminating resins is
> due to the solids in solution to get the characteristics they're
> looking for in a laminating epoxy,

That all fits it to a T Mark.  I don't even recall the brand name after all
this time & its likely moot anyway.  I have looked a bit at the local boat
shops without finding anything that resembles that stuff at all.  Mostly
all they have in Marine rated paint.  When I refinished the bottom of my
boat about 4 years back, I bought 2 quarts of Oliver Tractor green from TSC
and the hardener additive that makes it cure in about 4 hours & put at
least 2 coats, high wear places 5 or 6 on it.  It seems to be a very tough
finish, not seriously damaging it running into a pebbled beach at 1 or so
mph many times now.  Thats a heavy (900 lbs) old honk, a '68 Terry Bass
boat, and my 9.9 Yohnson only makes about 6 mph on the GPS with its tongue
hanging out, no floatation so it would go down like a rock if I ever holed
it.  Makes a great trolling rig.

And I'm sorry to say I was otherwise busy this past summer and did not even
get it wet.  Shame on me, 500 lashes with a wet noodle or something. :(

> Mark

Cheers, Gene
You can only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.