On Friday 23 November 2012 08:33:05 Steve Blackmore did opine:

> On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 23:02:17 -0500, you wrote:
> >Both slow and fast hardeners proclaim they are not for clear coating.
> >Is there a reason?
> >
> >Or is that from whence the age yellowing comes from?
> >
> >Seems to me the 105 is probably useless without the hardening catalyst.
>
> The 207 hardener is for clear coating - it's UV resistant but not for
> long term exposure - whatever that means?
>
> Steve Blackmore

I read that as needing an additional coat or 3 of marine spar varnish on
top for its additional UV protection.  Eventually it will be so amber
colored the wood will be hidden, which isn't exactly what I'd desire.  This
piece of Maple & Cherry is relatively clear of birdseyes and other 'curly'
figures, as its just straight grained hard white Maple whose grain rolls
nicely under the changing angles of the light much like a piece of Tiger
Eye, which is a petrified wood.  I don't want to hide that, and several
coats of Sam's Stuff still shows it off quite well.  That yellowing with
age of  the clear water ski finish on Bertha has adversely effected the
color to the point that I've considered how best to remove it and start all
over more than once.  Originally the cocoa colored thin laminated walnut
from 45 years ago, now has an amber cast that isn't at all 'tasty' looking.
Piss colored, with lots of B vitamins in it would be a better description.
:(

Maybe I'll stick to the Sam's Stuff formula.  I can make 2/3rds of a gallon
of that for half the price West wants just for the qt of 105.

Take a medicine container that holds about 2 oz, 1/2 oz tung oil, 1/2 oz,
clear Minwax poly varnish & 1/2 oz paint thinner.  Fold up 1/4 sheet of
Scott Shop towel into 1x2 pad & wipe it on.  Repeat at 5 or 6 hour
intervals using a new pad so the layer underneath is still a bit green for
good adhesion.  If you let it dry 24 hours, cut the surface sheen with 0000
steel wool before re-coating.  6 or more coats doesn't seem to effect the
color.

Throw the bottle out after 3 or 4 days & make fresh.  Its oxygen curing so
the last inch in the medicine bottle will setup unless you fill it with
Blox or similar.  Dry nitrogen would do too, but considering that added
cost, toss it & make a new one.  Unfold the pad you made and drape it over
the edge of the trash can while it finishes curing.  Never had it happen
but we're told soaked rags can start a fire, so give them lots of cooling
surface when disposing.

Cheers, Gene
Dime is money.