From: Gene Heskett [mailto:ghesk...@wdtv.com]
Sent: 24 November 2012 06:21
To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] OT: Desoldering station minor repair

On Saturday 24 November 2012 01:07:19 Ben Potter did opine:

> Stick it in a bucket with ammonia ^1) and it goes black pretty fast
> (overnight). First noticed (or so I'm told) in stables. Can get some
> interesting colouring effects with this - especially if you're just on
> the edge of sapwood.
>
> Most things change colour somewhat with UV, and there's a big
> difference between UV resistant and UV blocking (or protection in
salespeak).

> 1) ideally you want the vapour to effect the wood - the wood should
> not be in contact with the liquid ammonia.

How does the ammonia blacked oak compares in hardness to the 200 year old
8x8 beam when trying to drive a nail into it?

I have a Bostitch framing nailer that can put a 3.5" cut head into fresh
white pine, sinking the head 1/2" deep given 100+ psi in the hose.  It was
dangerous trying to nail a temp brace to that old oak, it went in about 1/4"
and the nail exploded out the front, flying about 40 feet.  We wound up
drilling pilot holes and manually hammering in the nail enough for the temp
braces.  And when things were in place, a 3 foot wrecking bar to pull them
back out the inch we put them in.  Not all came back out, so the brace had
to be split away and the nails bent back and forth to break off a few thou
below the surface. That stuff was as hard as a rock, came out of the hay mow
floor of an old dairy barn over in Maryland.