On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 01:04:48 -0500, you wrote:

>That should have made an interesting piece.  How does the spalting appear
>to have effected its strength and sound?  The white oak I have that has
>spalted is generally surface only, disappearing with only a pass or two
>across the jointer.  But the one small maple log I cut up a year ago was
>spalted 3" into it full length of the log, and quite pithy in the darker
>streaks so I've not tried to use it for anything structural at all.

Here you go - front is Maple, back the spalted Sycamore

http://imagebin.org/237002
http://imagebin.org/237003

On the back you can see a hole - that appeared during sanding, I just
filled it with super glue and carried on. It had about 3 more coats of
clear Nitro after these pictures were taken.

It was only soft where that small hole was, the rest seems fine. Doesn't
affect the sound. The main body is 1 1/2 inch thick Mahogany with 1/4
maple front and 1/4 sycamore back.

Main mahogany body being routed
http://imagebin.org/237004

Inside pockets finished
http://imagebin.org/237006
(bit out of focus - but you get the idea)

Steve Blackmore