On 2/2/2013 10:51 AM, John Stewart wrote:
> I actually find the 1.8ghz computers better; faster, smoother, and quieter.
> Am looking at updating the 3.4ghz pentium motherboard to an AMD quad-core, if
> I can find the time/money combination. It's actually not a lot of money to
> upgrade, so I'll probably just do it one of these weekends.

Time and again folks report that high clock rates and lotz of bells and
whistles didn't guarantee good performance. Test, test, test....

A data point on cost:

Intel D525's were going for about $90 when I last bought one (all prices
in USD).

I just looked and TigerDirect (I'm sure NewEgg is just as competitive)
is offering the ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS AMD 760G Motherboard for $60 and
the AMD Athlon II X4-640 for $70. That sums to just $40 more than the
Intel D525 (or 44 percent more if you want to make it sound
extravagantly more expensive!). Either choice still requires memory,
power, case, etc., which moderates the difference in price. I haven't
used this board but this cpu has worked well for me (latency data are
posted on the Wiki and my Google Site) and boards from ASUS and Gigabyte
have always worked well for me.

Note this motherboard includes an LPT interface with rear-panel
connector if you're lusting to keep that interface around.

I'm not advocating for this specific combination, just showing
cost-effective choices exist for CPUs and motherboards. One shouldn't
overlook good buys on the Intel side either; I'm just no longer as
familiar with their CPU offerings. I should work on that since no one
knows where AMD is going, especially AMD.

I've never been very lucky dumpster-diving for used PCs and
entrepreneurs now cruise our neighborhoods the night before curbside
bulk-trash pickups to make off with any electronic gear. Nevertheless,
use 'em if you can find 'em has always been my motto.

Regards,
Kent

PS - John, I'm glad to hear you've gotten through that rocky patch with
your system integration :-)