On Sunday 17 February 2013 21:28:52 jeremy youngs did opine:

> i will get my hand book from work this week and see what info is
> needed to calculate pressure angle and will ask for dimensions when
> the book is in hand these are probably available from enco in steel
> for a reasonable fee but will need d.p number of teeth and pressure
> angle you might have to use your lathe to broach the keyway.
>

> I do have a q 4 u though my drives will take max of 80 v they will
> shut down at 85. I am currently running 2 24 volt supplies and just
> want more power !!!!!
> So I have been looking for a transformer @55 v which gives 77.77 rms (
> ideal ?) and i have found some 220 step downs @ 1kva but that gives
> 84.84 rms, (bummer:() I like the 1 kva rating and the 70 dollar price
> tag for one of these though a friend suggested limiting potential by
> strapping a shotskey diode across ground and reducing potential by what
> the
> schotskey is rated at what do you think of this idea?

Not enough drop.  Find an elcheapo tranny with a center tapped 24 volt
output at 4 or 5 amps, and put its secondary in series with your 220 to
serve as a buck.

Your so called 220, single phase is between 255 to 250 actual on this side
of the pond since the wall plug voltage has been slowly raised from 110 to
127 over the last 60 years, so the so-called 220 is actually in the 254
range today, (but everybody still says 220 cuz it rolls off the tongue so
nice) so I'd use the whole 24 volts as buck, which will put your primary at
about an actual 230 volts.  If thats not enough buck, get another and use
it to buck too.  In fact, when you find it, I'd get 2 or 3 just in case.
They also make good psu's for EDM.

> the 1kva would let me expand to 5 axis without any supply issues
> thanx
> p.s. here in upstate ny its about 6 deg and falling i understand it
> being too damn cold !!!

I hear that, its 19F here in WV, and thats too damn cold for this diabetic,
no circulation in my feet, old fart.  But they are promising we'll lose
some of our snow tomorrow. TBT, we could use another 10 feet of it, 4" at a
time, we're drier than a 100 year old bone here.

> looking forward to getting back to missouri soon :)

Cheers, Gene
My views
There is nothing stranger in a strange land than the stranger who comes
to visit.
I was taught to respect my elders, but its getting
harder and harder to find any...