On Friday 22 February 2013 21:19:02 Cathrine Hribar did opine:

> Hi Gene:
>
> How many volts and amps do u have to supply to ur Z axis 3 stack
> stepper?
>
> I need more torque!
>
> Bill

I'm using the 2M542 driver brick, set at the motors top amps which is for
the motor wired series (they are 8 wire motors) of about 2.9 amps.  Voltage
on the lathe is unregulated, about 38 or 39 volts, and 28 volts regulated
on the mill.

These motors were originally from xylotek as part of a 3 or 4 motor kit (i
bought a 3 first, with 252oz motors, then a 4 pack with 425 oz motors, but
the xylotex boards have long since smoked even if they weren't old enough.

I haven't measured working force on the lathe yet with its new ball screw
in the Z, but the redesigned Z axis on the mill can push the bathroom
scales to 155 lbs, so drilling a hole is definitely not a problem.

Cheers, Gene
My views
Some scholars are like donkeys, they merely carry a lot of books.
                -- Folk saying
I was taught to respect my elders, but its getting
harder and harder to find any...