On 31 May 2013 07:24, RogerN <re...@wildblue.net> wrote:
> Let’s say, for example, you have a part that takes some machining at some
> angle to the parts normal X, Y, and Z.  My CAD/CAM software will let me pick
> a 3D face and will align to that for generating the code.  Is it possible to
> do something similar with LinuxCNC?  like if you need to machine a flat and
> drill a hole at 45 degrees between the X and Z, can you rotate the CNC
> coordinate system 45 degrees about the Y axis so that when you jog X, the
> machine moves X and Z at a 45 degree angle, and when you jog Z, the machine
> moves Z and X at 45 degrees (90 degrees from the X jog).

The answer is probably "maybe"

I don't think that doing what you describe makes any sense unless you
can also change the angle of the tool axis. If you are talking about
changing the tool axis then it becomes a normal 4/5 axis kinematics.

I guess with a tilting-head mill there is no reason that the angular
axes used by kinematics need to actually be motorised. The AB angles
could be inputs to HAL set to match the physical angles manually set
by the operator.

There is a 5axiskins in src/emc/kinematics that might already do what
you are describing under the situation described above.

--
atp
If you can't fix it, you don't own it.