On 13 June 2013 17:49, Bruce Layne <linux...@thinkingdevices.com> wrote:

> Your cautionary LeBlond Tale of Terror argues in favor of converting to
> CNC instead of restoring old machinery.  If you have 90% of a
> functioning lathe, it's a lot easier to strip out the 40% that you don't
> need for CNC rather than try to find or fabricate the missing or damaged
> 10%... and your efforts will be rewarded with a more capable CNC machine.

I agree to an extent, but I think it depends on the class of work that
you are doing.
For unusual one-off setups I suspect that a conventional job-shop
lathe is probably a more useful layout than a dedicated CNC.
(As an example, many CNC lathes don't even have a tailstock).
I all too often "think in metal" and watch the part I need appear
progressively as I design it concurrently with making it. This is a
bit more of a challenge with a dedicated CNC with guards and
bar-feeders and the rest of the stuff. I don't think I have seen a
dedicated CNC with a fixed steady either (because if you need a fixed
steady and can afford a CNC lathe  then you probably have a better
tool for the job.

--
atp
If you can't fix it, you don't own it.