On 29/7/13 at 9:17 PM, bodge...@gmail.com (andy pugh) wrote:

>On 29 July 2013 02:10, Alexander Newman <anew...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>
>>3-axis hal file = <http://pastebin.com/7TaM60VR>
>
>That looks like it should work.
>
>Have you tried swapping connections to be sure that the Y motor and
>drive work properly? (Don't change any connections with the drive
>powered up though).
>
>Your axis limits look very strange. -100 to +100 on X, -20 to +20 on Y
>and -4 to 0.001 on Z? 4mm Z travel seems unusually small.

Problem soled! It was operator error...

I checked all the signal wiring (disconnected from the mains)
between the drives, the XLR output sockets, the BoB and also the
motor lead pins, with the multimeter on cty: all OK there.

I deleted the old 3-axis configs and made a new one: the same
thing: X and Z axis only, plus when testing the motors via
Stepconf, there was no change in direction when it should have done.

So..back to the working four axis config: a closer look revealed
that pins 2-5 were all steps, pins 6-9 were all direction;
looking at the new 3-axis config - per default setup the pins
from pin 2 were X step, X dir, Y step, Y dir, etc. I changed the
pins to reflect what was in the 4-axis config, left a gap where
the A step pin was (Stepconf wanted to put it in even though I
had selected 3-axis at the start) and replaced A dir with X dir.
I hope that all makes sense.

Testing the motors in Stepconf on the axis-by-axis basis, all
motors rotated as the should per axis spec, and also changed
direction when Stepconf told them too. Saved the new config
(with some sensible table limits), fired up the new setup and
ran the engraving test proggy. All motors turned at the
appropriate stages. I then shut that one down and ran the 4-axis
version with the engraving NGDC just to check - all fine.

The take-home message is that that particular BoB expects to see
certain signals on certain // port pins. Anything else and it
produces weird output. The manual for the BoB actually shows its
parport pinouts (or pinins) - had I remembered to go back and
look :(.

If I hadn't spent so much time and money on the BOB and wiring
up the box to suit, I'd be tempted to get a Mesa 5I26 and
7I76/7I73 setup. Things are working really well now, however, so
I'll leave the whole box and dice as-is. For the time being,
anyway ;).

Thanks to Andy and Stuart for your help - and patience :).
Especially given that this particular goose didn't read the
right _ing manual. Just call me Petunia...
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krV2p6FJyYc>

Cheers,
Alex.