On 08/02/2013 11:46 PM, Gregg Eshelman wrote:
> On Fri, 8/2/13, Kirk Wallace <kwall...@wallacecompany.com> wrote:
>

> Now, if a machine is being used used to put one's kids through
> college, I would agree that spending a few buckets of money on
> known-good hardware and saving downtime may make a lot more sense.
> ------------------------------
>
> No kids here.

In that case, I would tend to just get what you have on hand to work. A
lot can be done with a breadboard and a PCI parallel port card.
http://www.wallacecompany.com/machine_shop/Shizuoka/00011-1a.jpg
http://www.wallacecompany.com/machine_shop/Shizuoka/00012-1a.jpg
http://www.wallacecompany.com/machine_shop/Shizuoka/mpg_proto-1a.jpg

My guess is that little of this work will be undone or wasted.

I went from decommissioning the Bandit to three moving axes, shown in
the first two pictures, in a day. I could have started making chips by
operating the spindle manually.

> Something else about this mill, it has cogged belts for speed
> reduction on all three axes. I haven't had time since bringing it
> home to start taking things apart. Was an over 600 mile round trip to
> get it.

When do we get to see pictures?

> Will be at a sci-fi/anime/horror/etc convention in Nampa, ID all this
> weekend. Haven't missed it since its first year in 2004. ;-) This is
> my annual three day vacation from everything.

In Idaho? I thought we Californians were known for our fruits and nuts. :)

--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/