Hello group;

An old friend contacted me recently about problems he has been having with his
hobby mill. I say hobby because the man is a top notch surgeon who does mainly
reconstruction of destroyed hands.

His hobby mill looks to be a late 70's vintage CNC knee mill with a 2 or 3 hp
Universal 300 qwik switch spindle. The control CRT is long gone and a B&W 7
inch hand held TV is strapped in place using composite RCA video.  I'm guessing
a Z80A cpu.  The Mill has Baldor servos as follows;
Model        M-4060-FL-43
Mfg Code     16/190 81633

Max Current    25A
Torque Stall    350 oz inch
Max Speed    2500 RPM
Max Volt        120 VDC

Baldor servo amps Model  UM3012-100  Part #  990122C-00. These are +/- 10V
analog with tach velocity feedback.

I measure 100VDC at the power supply capacitor.

This machine came as a 4 axis but he claims the 4th unit was a basket case when
he received it and he just kept the extra amp mounted as a spare. Recently the
Y axis had problems so he moved the wiring from that amp to the A axis amp, Now
the X is giving him fits and he is blaming the amps but I think the control may
be failing. While I was there he set the home offset, and about 15 minutes
later that value was missing for X.

What he would like to do is replace the amps and control, re-using servos and
existing limit switch wiring and power supplies.

I looked at Copley and I didn't see anything that looked close.  AMC looks like
a good contender with the 25A20I. Any others I should look at? I would like to
use that tach feedback if possible as this machine may have rather low count
encoders and I don't want to touch them at all.

I will likely use one of the 5i25 combo's for I/O. I am considering showing him
"touchy" but I have not used it myself as yet so it will be alot more extra
homework for me.

I also want to try and use the baldor amps at first to prove out limits, homing
etc. I get the feeling that his amps are far out of tune due to him meddling
with all the trims pots.

I will need lots of help with guessing accelspecs and other initial settings, I
will likely be very well versed in some areas of using HAL to get things
functional.

Worse yet - it looks like MY mill may have just given up the ghost also, so
that machine may be inline for a refit too.