On Thu, 9/5/13, Greg Bentzinger <skullwo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

 Hello group;

 An old friend contacted me recently about problems he has
 been having with his hobby mill. I say hobby because the man
 is a top notch surgeon who does mainly reconstruction of
 destroyed hands.

 His hobby mill looks to be a late 70's vintage CNC knee mill
 with a 2 or 3 hp Universal 300 qwik switch spindle. The
 control CRT is long gone and a B&W 7 inch hand held TV
 is strapped in place using composite RCA video.  I'm
 guessing a Z80A cpu.  The Mill has Baldor servos as
 follows;
 Model        M-4060-FL-43
 Mfg Code     16/190 81633

 Max Current    25A
 Torque Stall    350 oz inch
 Max Speed    2500 RPM
 Max Volt        120 VDC
-----------------

He's in the same boat I'm in. High voltage DC motors and new or new-er amps to
drive them are hideously expensive. But a surgeon, you say? That usually means
a person of means. I couldn't get around the cost of replacing one missing old
amp and then coming up with the hardware to control it - and then always the
worry that one of the nearly quarter century old amps would go *poof*, just
like lighting $500 on fire.

If they were under 100 volts there's plenty of amps or drivers on eBay, but get
over 100 volts and there's not much. (I spent a lot of time on there looking
for more up to date drives capable of handling 140 volt DC motors.)

He'll be best off buying a new kit of motors and drivers with all the wiring.
They usually include some cheap Chinese BOB. Use it to get it set up then toss
it and get compatible gear from Mesa or Pico or one of the other guys who posts
here. If you can afford it, all new is the best because A. It's supposed to
work. B. If it doesn't work you can exchange it.

If he does want to pinch a few pennies, there's a seller on eBay going by
FA-PARTS, selling kits with used drivers and motors, all tested, with all the
connectors, wiring diagram and software in English, and a cheap Chinese BOB.
The connectors have been cut off of cables so wiring is up to the buyer. (I'm
thinking of buying a kit from FA-PARTS but it'll have my investment in the mill
over $2,000, dagnabit!)

Might be able to part out the old system to recover some of the cost. I've
brought in about $700 on old Anilam Crusader M pieces and still have some of it
left. Curiously, no bids on the amps at a starting bid of $100.

My sights (and budget) are set a bit lower. Still looking at options with
NEMA34 size motors - and going to have to have someone else make plates to
adapt a NEMA34 mount to a 4 on 75mm bolt circle. That's something your Dr.
friend can do before his mill goes dead. Settle on what sort of motors to use
then get adapters made.

If he doesn't want that 4th axis, I'd be happy to take it off his hands. :-)