On 5 September 2013 08:11, Greg Bentzinger <skullwo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> What he would like to do is replace the amps and control, re-using servos and
> existing limit switch wiring and power supplies.
> I will likely use one of the 5i25 combo's for I/O. I am considering showing
> him "touchy" but I have not used it myself as yet so it will be alot more
> extra homework for me.

For DC servos I would either be looking at second-hand AMC drives from
eBay/ New I would be looking at  Granite Devices, or the properly dumb
drives from Pico or Mesa.

http://pico-systems.com/osc2.5/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=3&products_id=26

Mesa 7i29 (note that it handles 2 motors per card):
http://www.mesanet.com/motioncardinfo.html

Neither the Pico or the Mesa card are analogue-input. They both
actually want a PWM signal, and both Pico and Mesa have hardware to
produce that. The 7i29 is a different "family" to the 5i25, being
50-pin header rather than DB25. This is mainly a wiring issue, as I
understand it, and I think that adapters exist. However unless you are
committed to the 5i25 the 5i20 would be simpler.

I _think_ that the analogue outputs on the 7i77 are generated by a
DAC, so whilst PWM control of Pico amps with a Mesa 5i25 is almost
certainly entirely possible, It isn't just a wiring issue, you would
need a PWM firmware.

--
atp
If you can't fix it, you don't own it.