On 09/05/2013 02:53 AM, andy pugh wrote:
> On 5 September 2013 08:11, Greg Bentzinger <skullwo...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> What he would like to do is replace the amps and control, re-using
>> servos and existing limit switch wiring and power supplies.
>> I will likely use one of the 5i25 combo's for I/O. I am considering
>> showing him "touchy" but I have not used it myself as yet so it
>> will be alot more extra homework for me.
>
> For DC servos I would either be looking at second-hand AMC drives
> from eBay/ New I would be looking at  Granite Devices, or the
> properly dumb drives from Pico or Mesa.

... snip

The Pico/Mesa amps have my vote. You can leverage the intelligence built
into LinuxCNC, instead of trying to arbitrate between LinuxCNC and the
intelligence in the drives. LinuxCNC should have no trouble utilizing
tachometer, rotary encoder, or scale input, and you get to use HALscope
for tuning.

--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/