I have been using Linux since 1997, so you preach to the converted.
Unfortunately EMC does not work wioth Isel G-code at all.

The machine communicates through a serail port not parallel.

Unless some advances occurred with EMC the last past years that will
drive the Isel it would be worth trying it again, but it never worked
previous years.
If all else fails I just have to write an interface myself.