On Monday 10 March 2014 20:28:53 John Kasunich did opine:

> Gene:
>
> It seems like you're going about this the hard way.
>
> The first step is to identify the belt family.  Look at the
> shape of the teeth on the belt. Are they round, or
> trapezoidal?  Take a look at the pictures here:
> http://www.sdp-si.com/D265/HTML/D265T015.html
>
> Given that your pitch is approximately 5mm or 0.2
> inches, likely candidates are XL (fig 19c, top row,
> right end), or 5mm HTD (fig 19f, 2nd row, right end),
> 5mm GT2 (fig 19i, 3rd row, right end), or T5 (fig 19k,
> bottom row center).
>
> The tooth shape should let you eliminate two of the
> four possibilities.  It is either round (HTD or GT2) or
> trapezoidal (XL or T5).

Definitely trapezoidal.

> Any markings on the pulleys that wound indicate
> the type?  GT2, HTD, etc?  (That would make it
> too easy.)

No mark of that sort  >POM< in one of the casting webs is it.

> Assuming no markings, next step is to determine
> the OD of the pulleys for each type.  Google found
> this page:
>
> http://www.pfeiferindustries.com/timing-belt-pulley-pitch-diameter-outsi
> de-diameter-charts-i-12-l-en.html
>
> Links on that page lead to PDF files with pulley dimensions
> for three of the belt types.  It didn't have info for T5, but I
> found another that did.  I'll save you the reading - for 30 tooth
> pulleys, the pitch diameters and outside diameters are:
>
> HTD: PD = 1.880"  OD = 1.835"
> GT2: PD = 1.880"  OD = 1.835"
> XL: PD = 1.910"  OD = 1.890"
> T5: PD = 1.880"  OD = 1.848"

Ok, what happens when the pulley OD is (across the teeth)
1.803" ?  Plastic shrunk in its old age? Looks like pretty fresh casting to
me. In some sort of black ABS?

Thats a pretty good jump up to a T5.

Thanks.

Cheers, Gene