Thanks, Andy,
I now see that I can get as old as a gnu and still learn dazu... Never
seen anything like that counter, and wouldn't know where to mount it on
the lathes I know. It's a good idea to make a run out groove that way -
I usually have to cut it right in the beginning (with a parting tool)
before threading starts. But that's the way apprentices learn using a
lathe hereabouts. I have seen dozens of them passing through our shop
over the years, 3 years each, without anyone mentioning a thread counter.

Peter