Now back to the question, now that it's established exactly what kind of
signal the scales and encoder put out.

What *hardware* do I need to interface them safely with a PC? I've read
that it's "simple" to connect "directly" to a parallel port and a garden
variety LPT can handle two quadrature inputs.

If I get a low profile PCI dual LPT card I'll be good to go for the
existing three axes and have a spare input for a 4th axis.

I'm not interested in a DIY project to connect the scales. (The rest of
the refit/rebuild has been enough DIY already.) I'd like to just buy
something to plug into the LPT ports and connect the scales and encoder
to the other side - and have it usable with LCNC. Preferably without
having a ton of extra features aside from interfacing the scales and
encoder.

Recommend something? I've searched some and findings range from "Yeah,
TTL quadrature outputs can be connected to a parallel port." (without
the author giving any specific details) to "Here's a schematic and a
BOM, now get out your soldering iron." to "Buy this expensive board that
does *anything*, of which you'll only use one function."

The BOB I have has I/O for e-stop, spindle on/off and limit switches.
That will run off the built in LPT on the PC, or a port on the PCI card
if that will work better. (It's a better BOB than the very basic one
which came with the steppers, drives and power supplies kit.)

Might use the spindle control relay on the BOB to run the lube pump
since the VFD has an RS232 connection. (I need to look up software for
that, and if LCNC supports whatever comm protocol TECO uses.)

Can LCNC work with doing I/O on several LPT and COM ports at the same time?

Or is there a single board that plugs into one parallel port, can run up
to four stepper drives, read up to four TTL quadrature scale/encoder
inputs, has an e-stop input, limit switch inputs for 3 or 4 axes, can
control spindle on/off and a lube pump *and nothing more than that*?

In other words exactly and only what is required to operate a basic 3 or
4 axis CNC machine tool - without a ton of added cost feature creep.