On 8/19/2014 8:28 PM, dave wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-08-18 at 13:46 -0400, Todd Zuercher wrote:
>> I've had a problem proposed to me. Any ideas or suggestions?
>>
>> A series of randomly sized wooden pieces (uniform thickness) placed randomly
>> on a slow conveyor. Each piece has 1 to 4 small pockets milled in them. I
>> would like to automate a method of blowing out the dust left from milling
>> the pockets. How hard would it be to detect the location of these pockets,
>> position an air nozzle over the pocket and clean them with a short air blast
>> as they are carried down the conveyor.

Another approach:

1.   Invert them either by the people placing upside down on a mesh
conveyor belt.  Or turn them over by another other method (Not hard with
conveors).
2.  Use strong acoustic signal to shake out dust & chips. Think large
base speaker. (possibly with some acoustic isolation).
  You might want to place a screen over them to prevent them moving to far .

A little experimentation may be needed to determine what frequency or
combination of frequencies work the best and require the least energy.

Craig