Understanding the history of where we came from is important to me to
have a framework to see how to go into the future.

The origins of the G-Code 'language' goes back to the use of paper
tape (that is what my Dad used 40+ years ago and it was well
established then).

Yes, G-code isn't modern or structured inherently, it is a linear
'language' due to the limits of the media of the day.  ( They used
Baudot 5 level paper tape for control in Dad's day.  They used a
communications teletype that was generally available in the day. )

If you want a 'new' machine control language, GO FOR IT.  Just don't
expect it to immediately displace G-Code en mass.

IMHO, glopping on OO or other 'better' language options/techniques
onto LinuxCNC, or G-Code in general, would just generate an
aberration.  It is better to DESIGN a better control language that is
inherently easy to learn, easy to use and extensible without having to
re-code the core.  It should generate 'good' and IMHO 'optimized' code
(the definition of optimum will depend on machine configuration!).

G-code is a good basis for a SIMPLE language (in todays terms) that
can be interpreted at run-time by simple controllers and don't need
large computers or control systems to drive them (we have all seen
arduino g-code interpreters -- that has very few extensions!).  LCNC
needs a larger machine for it's versatility, and MACH runs on a common
consumer OS and feels 'comfortable'.

We have for the most part gotten away from people coding g-code
directly (but it is still good to do some, IMHO, just so you know what
the machines are really doing for you!) for the most part.  It is
being used for generic machine control for not just mills and routers
but plotters and additive machines (think Makerbot and the ilk).

LinuxCNC still has the ladder logic emulator that is very powerful and
has been used for a LONG time in machine control of everything from
Traffic Lights to injection molding machines, to just about any
machine you can imagine.  It is still VERY strong in the machine
control industry.

Think of your new language and not just in YOUR use, but as general
for being a control systems language.

----

My fuzzy crystal ball also sees any 'new' control systems being able
to run as a consumer kiosk or 'maker appliance'.  Select from a design
in the 'cloud' or library, possibly change a parametric number or two,
and make the item.  Either using additive or subtractive technology,
allowing for colors and different materials to be 'controlled' when
making the items or parts of items.  The appliance could be as simple
as putting in a 'programming card' or pushing one of 4 buttons to 'see
it made in front of you' like the old kiosks at state fairs. (I seem
to remember plastic dinosaurs and airplanes being injection molded on
demand in some of these over grown vending machines, but I am sure it
is showing my age).

Even with a quickly biodegradable polymer, to make new plates, cups,
eating utensils for every meal that are not environmentally bad and
have a open air half life of possibly 24 house or so, but are totally
stable for 8 hours. -- back to this discussion, that is a materials
issue and not a control systems issue like LCNC provides.

Enough of a diatribe. ... I hope this helps spark someone into action
rather than just murmuring among ourselves.

Others will have better visions.  If you do ... GO FOR IT!