On 03.10.14 10:19, andy pugh wrote:
> On 3 October 2014 09:24, Erik Christiansen <dva...@internode.on.net> wrote:
> > Not for nought is it
> > said that a determined programmer can write fortran in any language.
>
> You have seen the FORTRAN++ that makes up the bulk of the NML code in
> LinuxCNC then?

Errr ... is that relevant to the context? Is your point perhaps that
Fortran++ is so different from Fortran that one can't write bad code
with it? Hopefully there is a point, because you've worked hard to take
that one sentence out of its context:

Erik:
> It is clumsy and confusing to use them [gotos] where a more
> structured, and therefore more descriptive, construct is available.
> Not for nought is it said that a determined programmer can write
> fortran in any language.

Perhaps you are unaware of the decades-long currency of the quote.
Its context is not only the early language's intrinsic contribution to
bad code, but also E.g.:

»
The world has seen so much bad Fortran code that the name of the
language is now a synonym for bad coding. Many of us have never seen
real Fortran code, but we know what coders mean when they say, “You can
write Fortran in any language.”
«  - http://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=1039535

Erik
(Who has not only seen Fortran code, but written some, decades before
even Fortran90 came out.)

--
There's no obfuscated Perl contest because it's pointless.
                                                                      -Jeff Polk