On 03.10.14 04:55, Chris Morley wrote:
> I tend to agree with you. bad use of goto is .. bad.
> good and sparse use of goto is fine, possibly good.

Ah, awareness ... good to see on a thread with a sad amount of
misinformed absolutism.

For any still under the thrall of absolutist teaching in their formative
youth, please consider C's "break" which ends any switch case which does
not fall through to the next. It _is_ a goto. (They all goto the same place.)
The aliased name is just syntactic candy.

In the ITUT Specification and Description Language (SDL), there is a
JOIN command, much used to avoid unreliable code duplication in the
event-driven embedded systems on which it is used. It is a GOTO, but the
different name makes it legit in the eyes of those with GOTO-phobia.

It is possible that impressionable undergraduates missed one word in the
lecture "goto should almost always be avoided". They may also have
failed to realise that the lecturer was talking to ultimate noobs, not
experienced programmers.

> Just look at our beloved HAL code ( coded in C )
> you will see lots of goto statements for error cleanup/messages.
> makes the code easy to follow and clean.
>
> besides if someone wants to write 'bad' gcode with gotos that
> work, who are we to tell them how to program :)

It is clumsy and confusing to use them where a more structured, and
therefore more descriptive, construct is available. Not for nought is it
said that a determined programmer can write fortran in any language.

Erik

--
[Perl is] more like a tank than a mine field. It may be ugly, but it
shoots straight and gets you where you're going, if you don't mind a few