On Friday 03 October 2014 08:34:44 andy pugh did opine
And Gene did reply:
> On 3 October 2014 13:24, Erik Christiansen <dva...@internode.on.net>
wrote:
> > There wouldn't be much of it in your engine controllers?
>
> That used to all be C, now it is mainly auto-generated C produced from
> Simulink models.
> For some reason we get given the C (in pdf format!) rather than the
> model as documentation. Which seem like madness to me...

That fits my definition of insanity even if one knows the compilers output
to the assembler well enough to stuff some of your own assembly tricks in.
I have found a couple places where I can beat the compiler by 1/25th the
execution time, in the compiler I am most familiar with.  I took an rzsz
build based on the Omen Tech source, from being able to process 275
characters a second on a 1.78 mhz cpu, to 720 cps on that same cpu & clock
by sticking some of my stuff into the output file going to the assembler.