On 03.10.14 12:06, andy pugh wrote:

> >> You have seen the FORTRAN++ that makes up the bulk of the NML code in
> >> LinuxCNC then?
> >
> > Errr ... is that relevant to the context?
>
> It was a joke. Or an attempt at one. As far as I know there is no such
> language.
> Some bits of  LinuxCNC is written in C++ that looks more like FORTRAN

Sorry to spoil the joke by needing an explanation. I'm clearly a bit
slow, here at the end of the week.

Despite buying a couple of books on C++, about 20 years ago, I only
ever wrote one program in the language. IIRC, Linus Torvalds refuses to
let any of it into his kernel. That seems wise.

Luckily, I never had to use it in several decades of developing embedded
systems. My first defence was always "especially with late binding,
inheritance will emasculate our real-time performance." That was usually
enough to make eager-to-be-with-it managers wander off dispiritedly.

The sig, below, was another worry. But since the lauded benefits of OO
mostly amount to increased cohesion and decreased coupling, I figured
that with rigorous design discipline, C could provide similar
maintainability attributes, but without the pain. (And anyway, I could
estimate a C & assembler project reliably enough to deliver on time. If
we'd ever dived into C++, I'd be flying blind - and be answerable for
having half a product when both time and money were gone.)

There wouldn't be much of it in your engine controllers?

Erik

--
One of the pains that come with large C++ programs is that simply finding code
can be difficult. It's not always clear which method will be invoked in a