On Tuesday 07 October 2014 05:03:43 Mark Wendt did opine
And Gene did reply:
> On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 1:48 PM, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > > Jeez, I dunno Gene.  He's comparing you to a Linux editor...  ;-)
> > >
> > > Mark
> >
> > Yeah, I thought of that too Mark, but even at 80 yo, 2+2=4, so I
> > figured he was talking more about the things I've gotten my hands
> > dirty fooling with.  Most folks my age think a walk to the mailbox
> > at the curb is half a days work.
> >
> > But today I am going to try & take an afternoon nap as I was up about
> > 7:11 & drove the last of my boys who were here for my birthday the
> > roughly 135-140 miles to the airport west of Pittsburgh, on my
> > morning vitamins, and 1 small cup of the motels coffee.  After
> > dropped them off in front of the Delta counter at PIA, I detoured &
> > found a McD's where I made 3 breakfast burrito's disappear.  And
> > just a few minutes ago pulled into the house after nearly 300 miles
> > of bad traffic, grabbed a beer which is evaporating at a high rate,
> > and will see about that nap when its dry.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
>
> Ugh.  Did you have to get on the Pennsy Turnpike?  Gawd, I hate that
> road.
>
> Mark

Its a PIMA, but no.  About 10 miles of i-70 where i-79 uses it to make a
job west, but the northbound side of that, which blew me away, that big 25
mph 290 degree right turn to get on i-70, the one with the 15 foot tall
crash barrier on the outside?  The corner that killed at least 10 people a
year? Yeah, that one, not far from Washington PA.

That has finally been replaced with a huge, 75 degree sweeper to the left
you could do at 100 mph, standing on pylons about 75 feet tall over
everything else.  Sweet!

But generally, PA's good roads haven't gained any speed increases, stuck
at 65 mph by PA.  Nobody pays much attention to it as traffic generally
stays north of 70 mph, sometimes by another 15 mph. My Toy saw 80 trying
to run with them 2 or 3 times.

However PA is still building 3 to 4 year roads, cheap as heck, gotta keep
all the union road workers off welfare I guess.  I have seen potholes in
i-79 develop before they get the gear packed up at the end of the job.  If
I was a PA taxpayer, I'd sue. 20% more per mile will build a 30 year road.
How they do it is criminally fraudulent waste of tax dollars IMO.

Seems I read someplace where if federal dollars are involved, its a
package deal, and you cannot ask for a warranty.  In .de land, some of the
autobahn is now 60 years old and still in good shape because even if your
company is asked to go fill a pothole, one of the things you must do is
warrant the fix for 5 years.  IOW if that spot fails again, you go back
and do it again, gratis.  And we are told it costs Germany about 10% more
per mile to build that quality of road.  Even at 20%, its still one hell
of a deal IMO.

But, I'm not licensed to run that train... :(