On Wednesday 15 October 2014 17:06:57 John Kasunich did opine
And Gene did reply:
> I just remembered that I had a detailed drawing of what I did. A
> picture is worth a thousand words.  See attached.
>
> This was a test fixture for a small PC board.  The main part of
> the fixture was a board on the bottom, with short pins that
> contacted the back of the board under test.  The pogo pins
> are part of a separate assembly that goes over the top and
> serves the dual purpose of pushing the UUT down onto the
> lower pins and contacting a couple connectors on the top
> of the UUT.  Not shown are pan-head screws that hold
> the upper-most board to the male-female standoffs.
>
> On Wed, Oct 15, 2014, at 04:42 PM, John Kasunich wrote:
> > I'm not sure exactly what you are aiming for, but I did something a
> > little while ago that I think is very similar.
> >
> > I got the sockets that the pins fit into.  They have a step in the
> > outside diameter.  I laid out the upper board with holes that the
> > entire socket fits thru, and the lower board with holes that only
> > the lower part of the socket fits thru.  Mounted the boards to each
> > other with spacers, etc. Then inserted the sockets from the top.
> > The socket goes in until the step hits the lower board.  Then I
> > soldered to both boards and inserted the pogo pins into the sockets.
> >
> > Obviously that won't work if you need to separate the two boards.
> >
> > The pins I used are Mouser 855-P25-1223 (Harwin P25-1223)
> > The sockets are Mouser 855-S25-512 (Harwin S25-512)
> >
> > Drawings for both are available at the Mouser website.
> > http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/181/P25-XX23-350405.pdf
> > http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/181/S25-XX2-351647.pdf
> >
> > Buying the probes from Mouser is quite a bit more expensive than
> > from ebay.  It didn't matter in my case - it was for work and I only
> > needed a modest number, a reliable source of supply was more
> > important.
> >
> > But the Harwin probes are also 0.053 diameter - I think that is an
> > industry standard.  You could probably use the Harwin/Mouser
> > sockets with your ebay pins.  Or maybe find similar sockets on
> > ebay?
> >
> >  On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 3:50 PM, Kirk Wallace
> >  <kwall...@wallacecompany.com>
> >
> >  wrote:
> >  > I'm planning on using these pins:
> >  > http://www.ebay.com/itm/141233257616 which are .053" in dia. with
> >  > 5mm and .150" pitch.
> >  >
> >  > I would like to connect to the pogos with a connector rather than
> >  > soldering a wire. I would like the connector to be between two
> >  > boards: http://wallacecompany.com/tmp/Screenshot_pogo1.png
> >  >
> >  > I recall some connectors used to connect board to board, where
> >  > header pins from the bottom board pass through the bottom of the
> >  > top board and into a connector on top. Does anyone have a link to
> >  > such connectors?
> >  >
> >  > --

John, the connector on the DUT board, in red in that .pdf, a "molex" part
I have to assume although there are probably other makers, is, if used for
board interconnect in the real world, is a time bomb with about a 1 year
length fuse.  When its mating connector is used to mount a daughter pcb,
the pressure from the retaining lip beside the pins is so great that no
known solder, or trace pad size can prevent its ripping the puddle of
solder and the trace loose on both faces of the DUT board, causing a loss
of connection it take a strong glass to find.  I had to do so many repairs
to that scheme in a HiGain 623 radio I owned for many years, that I
eventually took my soldering iron and made a hell of a mess of a tip,
burning away the nylon retaining lip, both on the motherboard and on the
daughterboard.  End of problem. I wish I hadn't traded it off for a
computer all those years ago.