On 16.10.14 10:41, John Kasunich wrote:
> Andy has a CNC mill, so if he has a piece of suitable plastic and a
> drill bit he can make whatever pattern he needs.

The problem with test pins, as Gene has already pointed out, is that
they are not designed as mating connectors for forming a permanent
connection.

In Kirk's shoes, where connectors to match the existing PCB hole spacing
are not available in time, and a new PCB is also too slow, I'd pull the
pins out of 0.1" pitch stackable headers, solder them into the existing
holes, while holding them in alignment with a grooved bit of plastic,
milled at the required pitch. Rather than mill a whole bunch of new pin
holders, I'd use a non-enclosing guide during soldering, and later run a
couple of beads of hot-melt glue, to mould a connector body in situ.
Spreading a little bit on the board improves support. At least then we
have mating connectors.

For me it was quicker to remove the PCB tracks, drill holes to fit
connectors which were in hand, and run a few wires. The electrons can't
tell the difference.

Erik

--
Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add,
but when there is no longer anything to take away.